Senior Hurling Championship

Saturday Aug. 12th. 

​ Blackrock 2 – 33 V Bishopstown 0 – 10 @ Pairc Ui Rinn

 Report:  Roger Ryan

Click here for Photos by George Hatchell

Our Senior Hurlers had a facile win over Bishopstown in the second round of the Senior Hurling Championship at Pairc Ui Rinn on Saturday afternoon and amassed the huge score of 2 – 33 in the process. Bishopstown scored 8 points with the wind in the first half and only added 2 further points in the second half. The final score of Rockies 2 – 33 to Bishopstown 0 – 10 gives a fair indication of how one – sided the game was. The good form shown by the team in defeating Glen Rovers last week was also very much in evidence on Saturday. One of the pleasing aspects of the win was the number of players who scored--13 in all. Robbie Cotter, Tadhg Deasy, Kevin O'Keeffe, Niall Cashman and Michael O'Halloran were very much to the fore, but Mark O'Keeffe, Peter Linehan, Cathal Cormack, Daniel Meaney, Fionn Coleman, Shane O'Keeffe, Ollie Mc Adoo and John Cashman also contributed handsomely to the overall score. 

The game had barely started when Kevin had our first point. Bishopstown with a point drew level but this proved to be the first and last time they were on level terms as Shane, Robbie, Kevin, Tadhg, Kevin again with 2, Tadhg, Mark, Robbie, Niall, Tadhg, all chipped in with unanswered points to push us ahead by 10 points, 0 -11 to 0 -1 on the 18th minute. Bishopstown scored their second point which was answered by Mike and Niall with a point each to leave it at 0 – 13 to 0 – 2. Bishopstown then added 3 points before Robbie scored our first goal to push us further ahead 1 – 13 to 0 – 05. Bishpstown's next point was quickly followed by a point from Peter Linehan. Bishopstown increased their tallt to 7 points and Cathal replied with a point for us. Bishopstown's next point was also quickly answered by point's from Niall and Tadhg to finish out the first half on a score of Rockies 1 – 17 to Bishopstown 0 – 8. 

The second half proved to be a pretty barren period for Bishopstown as they only managed to add a further 2 points to their score, whereas our boys continued to chalk up the scores including a goal from a penalty by Tadhg just 5 minutes into the restart. Robbie was fouled going through and Tadhg, as he had done against The Glen last week, sent the resultant penalty to the back of the net for our second goal. Our return in the second half was 1 – 16 and was shared by 11 players. 

This was a most satisfactory display from the team and while it doesn't quite guarantee qualification from the group, it certainly should give us great confidence when we face Midleton in our final game in 2 weeks.

Scorers: Robbie Cotter 1 – 04, Tadhg Deasy 1 – 04(1-00Pen), Kevin O'Keeffe 0 – 06(02f), Niall Cashman 0 – 04, Michael O'Halloran 0 – 03, Peter Linehan 0 – 03, Cathal Cormack 0 – 02, Daniel Meaney 0 – 01, Fionn Coleman 0 – 01, Shane O'Keeffe 0 – 01, Ollie Mc Adoo 0 – 01, John Cashman 0 – 01, Mark O'Keeffe 0 – 01.

Team: Gavin Connolly, Ollie Mc Adoo, John Cashman, Alan O'Callaghan, Cathal Cormack, Mark O'Keeffe, Niall Cashman, Ciarán Cormack, Kevin O'Keeffe, Shane O'Keeffe, Daniel Meaney, Mike O'Halloran, P.J.Linehan, Tadhg Deasy, Robbie Cotter.

Subs Used: Fionn Coleman, Alan Connolly.

Referee: Ciarán Ó Regan