Senior Hurling League

Sat. April 1st. 

​Blackrock 0 - 18 V Douglas 1 - 15 @ Douglas

Report:  Roger Ryan

Following the recent spell of inclement weather, the sun shone in Douglas this afternoon for our Senior Hurling League game against the home team. Our boys started brightly and we soo had a score on the board, a long range point from Andrew Murphy. Douglas retaliated pretty quickly though when they intercepted a stray pass at centre field which ended up with a goal for them. Buoyed by this early major, they then scored the next 2 points to forge a lead of 4 points, 0 - 01 to 1 - 02. Tadhg Deasy then put a halt to their gallop with a point which was quickly followed by a similar score by Robbie Cotter and Kevin O'Keeffe. The scoreboard took on a more healthy look at that stage, 0 - 04 to 1 - 02. Douglas did increase their lead with a further point but our boys upped the pace quite a bit and point;s from Ciarán Cormack, Mike O'Halloran, Tadhg Deasy Robbie Cotter and Kevin O'Keeffe had us leading on a score of 0 - 09 to 1 - 06 with about 20 minutes elapsed. Douglas then scored a point but we finished out the first half strongly with further points from Shane O'Keeffe and Kevin O'Keeffe. When the Ref. Mark Maher blew for half time the board read Rockies 0 - 11, Douglas 1 - 04.

We now turned to face the wind for the second half and when Douglas opened the scoring with a pointed free, our boys really turned on the style and Kevin, Mike and Tadhg duly obliged with a point each to push us ahead by 6 points, 0 - 14 to 1 - 05. Douglas responded with 2 points but this was resoundly answered by a point each from Kevin and Tadhg to restore our 6 point advantage 0 - 16 to 1 - 07. Douglas tacked on 2 further points to reduce our lead to 4 points. This was in the 20th minute and Ryan Sweeney entered the fray. Robbie Cotter with a point increased our lead to 5 points but Douglas then went on a spree and scored the next 5 points to reach parity. Kevin with a long range free from our half backline sent over a beauty to give us what we thought would be victory but Douglas had other ideas and sent over the equalising point as we entered overtime. Our boys strove might and main for the winning score and went close to it twice, but it was not to be, and the Ref blew full time with the teams locked on equal scores 0 - 18 to 1 - 15. This was certainly a great work-out for the boys, played at a fast pace throughout and no quarter asked or gi9ven and while we didn't win, at least we gained a point to add to the 4 already in the bag.

Scorers:Kevin O'Keeffe 0 - 06(02f), Tadhg Deasy 0 - 04, Robbie Cotter 0 - 03, Mike O'Halloran 0 - 02, Andrew Murphy 0 - 01, Ciarán Cormack 0 - 01, Shane O'Keeffe 0 - 01.

Team: Gavin Connolly, Richie Laide, Eoin Smith, Oliver Mc Adoo, Andrew Murphy, Ciarán Cormack, John Cashman, Kevin O'Keeffe, David O'Farrell, Mark O'Keeffe, Tadhg Deasy, Shane O'Keeffe, Ian O'Keeffe, Mike O'Halloran, Robbie Cotter. Sub: Ryan Sweeney.

Referee: Mark Maher, St.Finbarrs.