Junior Hurling League (3) Semi-Final
Thur. May 23rd

Blackrock 2 – 15 V Delaney's 2 – 10 @ Delaney's.


Report:  Roger Ryan

In a heart-stopping game played at Delaneys grounds on Thursday evening, our Junior 3 team proved their mettle with a great comeback to emerge winners by 5 points over Delaney Rovers in the semi-final of the AOS League. The final score of Rockies 2 – 15 to 2 – 10 didn't seem likely with about 15 minutes remaining when the home team had drawn level at 1 – 10 to 2 – 07. 

Conor Sweeney got us off to a start with an early point but Delaneys hit back with 2 points to go ahead. Henry Donnelly then poached a goal, Brian Lynch, Derek Gosnell, Eoin Browne and Paddy Lynch each scored a point to leave us in the lead by 6 points, 1 – 05 to 0 – 02. Delaneys added their third point but Brian Lynch and Peter Cotter replied with a point each to push us 7 points ahead. Delaneys scored their fourth and final point of the half and Brian Lynch finished the half with a point for us to leave us ahead by 7 points at the short whistle, 1 – 08 to 0 – 04. While 7 points was a nice lead to end the half, we were hoping we wouldn't rue all the chances we also missed in this half.

Delaneys really set out in determined fashion in the second half and opened their account with a goal and then followed up with 3 points, to leave the bare minimum between us 1 – 08 to 1 – 07. Brian Lynch and Eoin Browne added a point each but Delaneys struck back with a goal to draw level. Conor Long with 2 points on the trot pushed us ahead again but Delaneys struck back with 2 points of their own to draw level once again at 1 – 12 to 2– 09. Brian Lynch then took the game by the scruff of the neck and scored two magnificent points. 

Delaneys answered with a point, Eoin Brown scored a point and followed up with a goal to make things safe as time was running out. The standard of hurling throughout the game was excellent and great credit is due to both teams for giving it everything on the pitch. In a reshuffle at half time, our goalie Paul O'Brien moved to the edge of the square and Derek Gosnell took over the goalkeeping duties. Both changes worked well as Derek brought off some great saves. Sean Cormack and Dan Linehan were very much to the fore in the full backline again and Paddy Lynch kept na tight rain in the half backline.

Scorers: Brian Lynch 0 – 06(02f), Eoin Browne 1 – 03, Henry Donnelly 1 – 00, Conor Long 0 – 02, Conor Sweeney 0 – 01, Derek Gosnell 0 – 01, Paddy Lynch 0 – 01, Peter Cotter 0 – 01.

Team: Paul O'Brien, Dan Linehan, Sean Cormack ( C ), Peter Mullane, Paddy Lynch, David Walsh, Eoin Browne, Darren Griffin, Peter Cotter, Conor Sweeney, Brian Lynch, 

Derek Gosnell, Henry Donnelly. Subs: Conor Long, Tony O'Sullivan.

Referee: Brian Coniry.