Junior B HurlingChampionship Q/f
Friday Sept 15th. @ Nemo Rangers

Blackrock 0 – 14 V Nemo Rangers 1 – 08​

Report:  Roger Ryan

On an evening more conducive to water sports than hurling, our Junior B Hurlers put in a sterling performance to defeat Nemo Rangers in the quarter-final of the championship at rain-soaked Trabeg grounds on Friday evening. This was the first of three quarter-finals which we will contest this weekend and hopefully it is a portent of things to come. Our Intermediate team will also be in action against Ballygiblin on Saturday afternoon at Riverstown and our Seniors will line out against Sarsfields at Pairc Uí Chaoimh on Sunday afternoon. Wouldn't it be great if we pulled off all three and had three teams contesting the sem-final of their respective championship's.

The incessant rain which fell throughout the day threatened the cancellation of the fixture, but when it did go ahead, it didn't dampen the spirits of either team and a very competitive game ensued. Our boys started off very well and despite having the majority of possession we found it difficult to score and we were well into the first half before we started to pull away. Our half time score of Rockies 0 – 7 Nemo 0 – 2, certainly did not reflect the amount of possession we had enjoyed. Paul O'Brien opened our account with a converted 65 and Brian O'Leary followed up with a similar score from play to give us an early lead of 2 points. Nemo then had their opening point before Peter Cotter exchanged point's with Nemo to leave it at 0 – 3 to 0 – 2. Brian O'Leary had his second point, Paul O'Brien scored again and Luke Fogarty and Eoin De Burca chipped in with a point each to close out the first half with board reading Rockies 0 – 7, Nemo 0 – 2.

Nemo had 2 points in succession to open the second half and reduce our lead to 3 points but Paul O'Brien pushed that up to 4 again 0- 8 to 0 – 4. The selectors made some judicious substitutions at this point and these began to pay dividends when Owen Coughlan with his first touch, scored a point and David Cashman began to make his presence felt in the full-forward line. The score now stood at 0 – 9 to 0 – 4 but Nemo struck back and with 2 points on the trot had our lead reduced to 3 points, 0 – 9 to 0 – 6. Luke Fogarty soon had us 4 ahead again but Nemo pegged it back again to 3. Paul O'Brien restored our 4 points lead to leave it at 0 – 11 to 0 – 7. Paul O'Brien made it 5 when he scored from a 65 and Mikey Whelan who had just been introduced, availed of a neat lay-off from Dave Cashman to score a point and push us 6 ahead at 0 – 13 to 0 – 7. Nemo came back strongly and following a point they scored the only goal of the game to leave us with the dangerous lead of 2 points and full time approaching. But our boys didn't panic and David Cashman rounded off the scoring with a point to push us ahead by 3 points, 0 – 14 to 1 – 08. Colamaín ó Ruiséal made an appearance made an appearance for the closing stages of the game.

Full marks to both teams for braving the elements and serving up an exciting game of hurling. Onwards and Upwards now for our remaining fixtures this weekend.

Scorers: Paul O'Brien 0 – 05(2x65&2f), Brian O'Leary 0 – 02, Luke Fogarty 0 – 02, Peter Cotter 0 – 01, Eoin De Búrca 0 – 01, Owen Coughlan 0 – 01, Mikey Whelan 0 – 01, David Cashman 0 - 0 1.

Team: Conor Sweeney, Dan Linehan, Sean Cormack, Conor Long, Oscar Mc Carthy, Ronan Buckley, Aonghus O Driscuill, Kevin Morgan, Hugh Espey, Eoin De Burca, Luke Fogarty, Peter Cotter, Brian O'Leary, Cian Mc Carthy, Paul O'Brien. Subs Used: David Cashman, Owen Coughlan, Mikey Whelan, Colmán O Ruiséal.

Referee: Brian Keniry, Crosshaven.